A very productive day at NEEM
CFA team drilling firn cores a few km from the NEEM camp.
Again we have had a day with perfect weather: very light wind and blue sky. It is nearly possible to be outside in a t-shirt.
All outdoor programs made good progress with their programs measuring temperatures, building towers, hand drilling cores and maintaining vehicles.
Our cook Cyril prepared paella for dinner to top up a good day.
What we have done today:
1. NEEM 2011 S2 drilling to the final depth of 131.51m
2. Camera for deep hole mounted in pressure tube
3. Replicate drill head prepared
4. CFA team has drilled core 3 and 4 of the 12m deep hand drilled firn cores
5. Temperature measured in 2009 S1 borehole
6. Foundation for the water vapor monitoring tower prepared
7. Worn flags replaced on the flag line
8. Maintenance on the Pisten Bully
9. Attempt to repair one of the skidoo’s
The 2011 S2 has been logged and packed in 55cm bags. The core will
be available for the NEEM programs who have asked for shallow ice cores.
The core will be shipped to Copenhagen for intermediate storage.
One skidoo is broken and the motor has been taken apart. It is
unclear if we can repair it in camp or we need to send it to Kangerlussuaq
Weather: Blue sky, Temp. -5 °C to -15 °C, wind 5-12 knots from SW to SE.
FL, Dorthe Dahl-Jensen
The happy new Swiss flag in the NEEM flag line.
|← Previous entry||Next entry →|