24 May 2015
We are in a difficult snow zone
Although we hoped for the better, the snow becomes softer and softer, and fuel is becoming an issue. We do not have fuel in abundance, and this morning was spent pooling all our fuel in one tank. We have fuel to reach EGRIP, if conditions do not get worse; but if the snow does not get better, we will set aside two heavy sleds. These two sleds are not essential for opening EGRIP, and we can pick them up next year.
Again this morning, both a Pistenbully and the Case tractor got stuck from the start. It was decided to double head the dome and pull it 25km. Then the two vehicles went back to pick up the sled train. The three other vehicles made normal progress. We only made 25km because of a late start, due to pooling of fuel and because sending two tractors along the same route three times is time consuming. Tomorrow, we will decide if we leave two sleds for later.
All the while this tractor business happens, the three snowmobile teams continue to do science. Dorthe is still preparing good evening meals for us, and the dome is still in one piece.
What we have done today:
1. Service on vehicles.
2. Inspection of dome.
3. Emptying all three NEEM tanks completely and transferred fuel to fuel bladder.
4. Traverse moved at 12.00 with a double header for the dome. At 19.30 we had
arrived at 76 06’ N, 40 18’ W) 2756 m altitude. 130 km from EGRIP (326 km
from NEEM site). 5. Made only 25 km today.
6. Measurement of radar and GPS en-route.
7. Snow sampling en-route.
Weather: Beautiful day. Temp. – 14 °C to -30 °C, 2-5 m/s from S. Visibility: Unrestricted.
FL, J.P. Steffensen
|Previous entry||Next entry|